Sunday 27 September 2009

Time is on my side... sometimes.

After another fantastic day this time shooting a Wedding in Thurlston, Devon, I have a few comments regarding time given to the photographer to create the formals - now as you know when I talk about formals I am referring to the intimate shots with just the bride & groom - the money shots, the showstoppers, the ones that your friends & family will see and just say. "Wow!". Now these will not be the `reportage` (urgh, I hate that word) style shots, these will be the ones where I am allowed to flex my artistic muscles and create images that really will be the envy of all your work colleagues when you show them your album/gallery etc. These are the ones I will need some time to work on to get just right... I have so many ideas when it comes to the formals, but they do require a little time to pose, compose and shoot - it may mean I have to set up a couple of flashes on stands so that I can tease light onto the subjects face - it usually requires me to lay down on the floor to work depth and texture into a shot using foreground subjects - but I will guarantee you that if I am given time I will create work that really will stun you, remind you why you hired me and make you feel & look like a million dollars (about £631226 taking the current exchange rate into consideration - but I digress). My style is not and never will be 100% reportage - I hope my clients never hire me thinking that is the case.
The one most important thing I try to achieve every time I shoot a wedding is to capture the emotion between the B&G, but in a way that looks stylish - not tacky. Maybe selfishly I try to create amazing images for my own reasons - anyone who knows me knows how goddamn passionate I am about this job - to not be able to capture YOU in amazing and stylish ways frustrates me so much - I want to progress in my chosen career - I want to deliver images my clients deserve - I don't want to be some hack churning out the same old formulaic rubbish time after time - I know my clients know this and hopefully its some of that passion that endears me to them.

All I ask is for a little bit of time to capture all that magic and bottle it up for you.

Thanks so much for reading again

Cheers, Mark

PS - we was given time for the image below - I love it to pieces. Its the first one I grabbed from loads we took - I cant wait to get started on the others, but they need to wait until next week - I have a LOT of catching up to do!

PPS - the next post will be far more upbeat and less whiny - I promise!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment