Monday 3 August 2009

Prime or Zoom?


Hola y bienvenido a todos!
OK, just a quick update today - I am currently going through my most recent wedding (Josephine & Bobby, Tamworth Castle) and I have realised that I am now using my prime lenses far more often that my zooms. Whoa! I hear you cry (the non-geeky non-photo type amongst you that is), whats the difference between the two? Well a zoom lens is possibly the most popular type amongst most photographers, it has a variable focal length, basically THAT means that you can zoom in and out, its more pratical and can act as many lenses in one. Now a Prime Lens on the other hand only has one focal length, basically if you want to get closer or further from your subject then you have to zoom in with your feet. But surely thats inconvinient?! (thats you asking again, my hard rocking amigos), Ummm, a little bit but I feel the benefits of a prime lens are a huge benefit in comparison, the image quality is far superior - crisper, sharper images with plenty of contrast and colour saturation, they also weigh less (in most cases) - AND they are also generally faster than zoom lenses in the similar focal lengths, and faster means they let in more light allowing me to shoot in dimly lit areas (like churches for example).
I also feel they force me to be more discplined as a photographer, which can only be a good thing I guess. I guess one problem is I do have to carry around a number of them for most situations, but thats why I have an assistant!

Until next time. Adios y verle pronto!


No comments:

Post a Comment