Sunday 23 August 2009

Have golf cart - will play!



Saturday found Kevin and I at Mannings Heath Golf Club in Surrey - as always I had met the couple beforehand at the venue which gave me a chance to scout out the best areas for the formals and maybe a touch of inspiration - Hazel & Andy (the happy couple) had said they would be able to commandeer a couple of golf buggies for the afternoon/evening and that we could maybe use them to get around.. this led me to thinking how we could use them and maybe incorporate them into some photos - this would work on a couple of levels as 1. they would be fun shots and 2. it would give the images a sense of location. So the initial idea I had was to capture the golf buggy driving past me at speed and I could pan alongside to give the images a sense of motion. However these mighty machines have had a speed limiter installed which allows them to move at about a fast running pace - not ideal for motion panning shots unless we left the shutter open a bit longer, but that runs the risk of camera shake and blurriness (and not the good type!). Then Kev struck upon the idea of having the Cart drive around us in circles, allowing us more chances to capture a pin sharp photo. The idea worked a treat and the photo came out really well as you can see below.


We also took a few shots on the course, including one with me laying in a bunker whilst the bride hacked sand over me with a hockey stick - sounds weird eh? Again - photo below.


I did get one other shot during the bridal preps that I liked so much it is onthe frontpage of the website now (we rotate the image displayed on the frontpage each time the site is reloaded so you may have to reload the page several times until it appears).. I will have to be honest here, I did copy the idea from a portrait of Noel Gallagher I saw in a gallery a few weeks back, but I loved it so much I just had to pinch the idea for my own needs.


2 comments:

  1. Mark... these are great. We love your style and more so for the fact that you see things in other shots that could easily work in wedding photos. Just like the one with Liam from Oasis... as you know Andy 'LOVES' Oasis and this shot is just perfect. It's great to have a photographer who uses modern day influences to make seemingly ordinary pictures look pretty darn good!

    Thanks Mark and Kevin... H & A xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Hazel..

    By the way - it's Noel ;)

    ReplyDelete